To bring more of a sense of routine to RobAroundBooks, and to ensure that new content is available each and every day, I’ve decided to introduce a new ‘daily feature’ to the site based on various ‘booky’ themes. The theme of each daily feature will be posted according to the day of the week, and will be in addition to all of the regular ‘stuff’ on the site i.e. books news, personal reading info and updates, afterthoughts etc.
The ‘daily feature’ is one I’ve seen employed, in various incarnations, on a number of websites (the main one being Zen Habits) and it’s a feature that seems to help maintain a sense of reliability and freshness on a site, something that I really want to achieve on RobAroundBooks. So without further ado here’s a ‘rundown’ on all of the daily features I’m proposing, and when you can expect to see them appearing:
- Monday: Rob’s Reader of the Week - A feature that you would have noticed already in place, Monday’s are reserved for the posting of my new ‘Reader of the Week’. On my old blog ROTW was posted on a Saturday but Monday is a better day. It starts the week off with an uplifting inspirational bang.
- Tuesday: ‘On My Shelves’ – Featuring some of the books on my bookshelves, Tuesdays are ‘on my shelves’ day where I explore some of the favourite titles I own.
- Wednesday: ‘Bookshelf of the Week’ – On Wednesdays I post a favourite snapshot of somebody’s bookshelf, sometimes with a bit of commentary, but usually just the picture with relevant links to the pictures origin/owner’s website etc. As this feature progresses I’d like to expand this feature and invite readers themselves to submit their own favourites.
- Thursday: ‘RobAroundBookBlogs’ – On Thursdays I take a tour around one of the many, and infinitely better book blogs that can be found around the ‘blogosphere’.
- Friday: ‘RobAroundBookLists’ – On Fridays, the day before the weekend, when most people stock up on their reading fuel, I take a look at one of the trillions of reading lists that can be found on the Web, to see what’s on them, and to give a bit of guidance and opinion.
- Saturday: ‘RobAroundAuthors’ – At the weekend, the onus of the daily feature changes to the writing aspect of books, and on Saturdays the focus is on authors. The focus of this feature could be anything from author bios to interviews, from an exploration of an author’s technique to a feature on emerging authors. In other words, pretty much anything, provided it’s author related.
- Sunday: ‘RobAroundWriting’ – Keeping with the ‘weekend writing’ theme the Sunday feature focuses on the craft of writing, or more particulalry the craft of writing from my perspecitve. I’m only in the ‘baby stages’ of novel writing, only at the very start of the journey into authorship, and Sundays are focussed on some aspect of that journey. The focus may be on particular craft books I’m reading, techniques I’ve discovered, things I’ve written etc.