Bookshelf of the Week: Isabel Quiroga’s ‘Storyteller’

Storyteller by Isabel Quirogo

For this week’s Bookshelf of the Week I present something that’s not only unique, but also quite stunning. What we have here is Storyteller, a bookshelving solution which has been created by Dutch designer Isabel Quiroga.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out that Isabel has circular-sawed a number of tables in half, and joined them to form bookshelves, but it does take a genius i.e. Isabel, to come up with such a great idea in the first place. In terms of practicality I’m not sure how Storyteller would work out (maybe not so well), but as far as making a statement goes, well I don’t think it gets any bigger or bolder than this. What are your thoughts guys?

Now, while we’re on the subject, does anyone know where I can pick up a desk that looks like either of the first two shown on the top row (preferably whole :))? I’m desperate to find a small. dedicated writing desk and either one of these would fit the bill perfectly.

::Credit goes to Neodim at Recyclart for my initial discovery of Isabel Quiroga’s Storyteller

Comments

1. stujallen (Twitter: stujallen)

very nice and totally quirky rob nice find ,stu

Glad you like it Stu. Are you going to be doing a sweep of the antique shops looking for tables now? 🙂

2. I don’t like it. Maybe it’s the purple.

Can’t help you for your writing desk Rob. What are you writing by the way that requires a writing desk? Isn’t it better to just lie down in your bed/couch and type on your computer (trick question)? Or is it for decoration purposes only?

3. Rob (Twitter: robaroundbooks)

Hi Nick! Well first off let’s dispel a myth before it starts. I don’t consider myself by any stretch of the imagination either a competent writer, or one who is so pretentious that he must have a special table on which to write. I know you didn’t suggest such a thing but heaven forbid anyone thought that.

The thing is I’m a bit obsessed about working at a desk. I’m OK on a bed/couch when needs must, but usually I need the grounding of a desk in order to get myself in the right mindset.

Specifically, to minimise distraction, I want to write at a desk that solely for writing, and only just big enough to accommodate the materials I need to write i.e. journal/notebook, laptop, AlphaSmart, the odd reference book or two.
    Does that kind of answer your question Nick? (probably makes me look even more pretentious than when I started :))

4. Rob,

I actually love writing desks… and have much much less reason than you have to possess one!
    I wasn’t implying that you were pretentious in any way, I was just interested to know if you wrote a little (aside the blog).

5. How innovative! I probably wouldn’t put that sort of set-up in my house but it’s still wonderful to look at. (My sister would totally do something like that, though.)

Hi Claire,
      Well if your sister ever does do such a thing then you know where to send the photos. She sounds super-creative.

6. That… is fairly awesome. Okay, maybe the purple is a bit purple intense, but that adds so much to the whole… awesomeness. Wow. I have to join the “innovative” camp on this one. And it’s practical!

I’m with you on the purple Biblibio, but it’s a statement isn’t it. Maybe a bit more toned down for home use? The biggest obstacle for me would be cutting such beautiful desks in half.

7. Gee, and here I thought you were asking us if we knew where you could get a purple desk like this one…. 🙂

“…big enough to accommodate the materials I need to write i.e. journal/notebook, laptop, AlphaSmart, the odd reference book or two…”

What exactly do you consider an “odd reference book”? Something like “The Bathroom Book of Texas Trivia” (http://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Book-Texas-Trivia-Weird/dp/1897278306/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253748854&sr=1-19)?

Just curious…

8. Rob (Twitter: robaroundbooks)

Linda,
    You’re really not funny :o) And besides,“The Bathroom Book of Texas Trivia” looks to be a great read. Nothing odd about it at all!

9. That’s it! I’ve stumbled upon this picture too many times. My yard/garage/estate-saling shall commence this weekend. I have a big empty wall, a bizillion homeless books, two sacrificial tables, a circular saw, and a can of high-gloss NEUTRAL paint a shade darker than my wall. Now I just need the rest of the tables, and cheerleaders chanting the age-old carpenters’ mantra: “Measure twice. Cut once.” *fingers crossed*

Sarah,
      I’m hugely excited that you’re attempting this project. Personally I couldn’t push myself to saw such beautiful tables into two. I wish you luck and please, please, please send a pic of the final result so that I can feature it.