Bookshelf of the Week: Gertrude and Alice cafe bookstore, Sydney

I thought for this week’s Bookshelf of the Week that I’d go for another cosy cafe bookstore interior, and it doesn’t get much cosier than this. This is a shot of the Gertrude and Alice cafe bookstore in Sydney, Australia, as captured by sebr.

Seb hails Gertrude and Alice as being one of the finest bookstores in Sydney and I can see why. It looks like the perfect place to wile away the hours, especially with that sofa-filled nook in the corner screaming relaxation! I love eclectic and homely and Gertrude and Alice seems to fill both those needs perfectly. My thanks to Seb for capturing such a wonderful shot.

So fellow reader, does Gertrude and Alice cafe bookstore look like the perfect ‘wile away’ place for you, or do you have somewhere better in mind? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

1. I can absolutely picture myself on that sofa, in the corner by the wall. I would completely lose track of time and be perfectly content!

Why am I not surprised that you find this so attractive Kristen? :o)

2. I love the bookstore and I love the name of it even more. Is it hinting at the kind of books they’re selling in that lovely store?

It’s a wonderful name isn’t it Maria? Did you read the history of Gertrude and Alice on the bookstore’s website? If you haven’t then you should. It makes for fascinating reading.

• Hi Rob,
        I actually read the book “Two Lives: Gertrude and Alice” when it first came out two years ago. So I already knew the story behind the name, which is why it caught my curiousity. 🙂 It’s a really good book about their lives, relationship and troubles. I can only recommend reading it. Preferably at the beach in Sidney, but well, some of us just aren’t that lucky.
        I also wanted to congratulate you on your webside, I think it is very informative and a pure pleasure for all us book nerds out there. I saw “The dark side of love” on your to do list. I read that last october and I don’t want to give anything away, but I am pretty sure you will enjoy reading it. It is one of my favorite books.
        Maria

Well Maria,
          You know a heck of a lot more about it then I do then. I’ll certainly take note of your recommendation and see if I can’t at the book to the bookshelves at RobAround Manor.

As for your congratulations – what a very kind and warming thing for you to say. I’m humbled and can only thank you.

Lastly, thank you for the reassurance with regards to ‘The Dark Side of Love’. At nearly 900 pages it’s the longest of the six shortlist titles and the most intimidating. Your words of recommendation ease my mind somewhat; that perhaps ‘The Dark Side..’ will be an easier read than I think.

3. I was at Getrude and Alice in November and it was wonderful. It’s just a few blocks from Bondi Beach and a great escape for book addicts. The cafe was excellent too and so was the coffee. I want to go back.

Aloha from Rob on Kauai

How wonderful of you to drop by Rob and to share a ‘hands on’ experience with us. A few blocks from Bondi Beach you say? Perfect! Walk in grab a book (by grab I mean spend an hour or two browsing :)) and then head for the beach to read it. I can’t see bookish life getting much better than that 🙂
      Regards
      From the not so good looking Rob

4. Amy (Twitter: amckiereads)

What a gorgeous book store! Wish I was there 😀

Absolutely! And I think the draw of being in Sydney also increses that wish 🙂

5. My word I could lose myself for an hour or two in there! 🙂

….and I’m sure there exists even better pictures of it than that Darren.

6. robaroundbobaroundbob I love the setting, I could get lost for hours

I agree! And the eclectic range of knick-knacks which adorn the wall, only add to that.

7. Glad you like the photo Rob!