Bookshelf of the Week: Loo reading!

Over the past few weeks with my Bookshelf of the Week feature, I’ve hung around the sublime and the classy, the breathtaking and the unusual, so this week I thought I’d get right back to basics. And it doesn’t get much more basic in my opinion, than reading on the loo.

So what’s possessed me to even feature this shot from Ian Llloyd (toilet seat up so quite obviously a shot taken by a guy, right ladies? :)), Have I gone completely insane? Well, no! I just think this shot epitomises the true book lover, because only the true book lover would take any opportunity – espeically one such as this – to dip into a book. And what better way to enhance the sublime toilet reading experience than to have a bookcase full of books at hand?

Of course springing to mind right now is my recent Daily Bookshot – the one of a 1950s library label which asks for books in households with infectious diseases to be retained until advised otherwise. But putting that aside I can think no more relaxing way to tick off a chapter or two of one’s current read.

Sadly (for me), Ian’s toilet bookcase was only a temporary thing. But really I see no reason, provided hygiene rules are followed carefully, why such a thing couldn’t be a permanent fixture in every little boy’s (or girl’s) room.

That leads me on to the pertinent question dear reader, is reading on the loo predominately a male thing; a little pleasure in life that only really appeals to men? I’d say absolutely (and so does Mrs. Rob *rolls eyes*) but I’d love to know for sure. Comments below!

Comments

1. No, no, no, no, no! I could never expose my books to my own foulness… I don’t even keep my toothbrush in the bathroom. Is that odd?

A little odd maybe David. But I can see why you want to protect your precious bookish hoard. Not so sure about the toothbrush though 🙂

2. Stujallen (Twitter: stujallen)

not sure its best place for book shelf rob lol ,stu

Absolutely not the best place for your pristine books Stu, I agree. But a few tatty paperbacks that you can dip in and out of at will? Come on you must have at least thought about it? :)_

3. I’m not a fan of bathroom reading but my husband disappears in there for lengthy amounts of time that turn out to be mostly reading. It’s a strange phenomenon.

Then it IS truly a man thing. ‘High five’ your husband for me the next time you pass him Kristen 🙂

4. I always keep a book in the loo. It’s where I can think and relax properly. Plus it’s probably the cleanest room in the house. It always makes me happy when I visit friends who keep a number of books in their bathrooms. And we’re all women!

You Sakura are a true reader at heart. Your sincerity is making me weep here *sob* *sniff*

5. Iris (Twitter: irisonbooks)

From personal experience I’d say yes: my boyfriend loves reading in the bathroom or toilet, I don’t.

Again, another confirmation that reading on the loo is a male ting. Thank you Iris!

6. Do you think the owner likes to weight themselves or the latest book haul? Looks like they have music in there as well so it really does make a useful bolt hole. Thanks for sharing Rob

Actually Simon, I think these things were only in the bathroom temporarily while they remodeled some other part of the house. So all may not be what it seems.

A shame though because I think it’s kind of empowering to have these things surround you while you’re on the throne 🙂

Anyway, I hope all is well with you

7. nice site you have here. 😀
    reading in the loo has always been a hobby for me. Not only books but also other printed media. I wonder if bringing a laptop (you know, those e-book thingies popular right now) might bring out the same result as with books. gotta be careful though with water. oh and hey, I’m a girl.

Pleased to meet you Jessica. Thank you for the kind words.

You know, I don’t think there will ever be a replacement for traditional books but digital editions definitely have a place on the reader’s nightstand (provided, as you say, that water’s out of the way :))
      Warmest regards

8. My name is Yuki and I’m a bookaholic. (applause around the room) lol Nice to meet you Rob. I’m a big toilet reader 🙂

I would like to advise my fellow toilet readers to be mindful of the wellbeing of your “backsides” (esp. if you have haemorrhoids etc.) not to sit toooo long 🙂

Rob, can I use this picture in my booklovers’ page for young mongolians, please?

Thank you.