Bookshelf of the Week: Shakespeare and Company bookshop

OK, so I know I featured the place as a Bookshelf of the Week back in October 2008, and I know there are a million photos of this particular bookshop floating around already. But for this week’s Bookshelf of the Week I wanted to feature the world famous Shakespeare and Company bookshop again, with this particular shot captured by Argentinian graphic designer, Daniel Horacio Agostini aka dhammza.

Why do I love this shot so much? Well, I love the warmth of the photo. I love how it urges the viewer to come pay a visit to the shop. I love the guy sitting outside apparently caught unawares, musing it would appear in the pages of his notebook. Most of all though, I love how vividly the bookshelves in this photo are illuminated. Not only do we have the bookshelves in the display window highlighted by the natural Parisian light, but we also have the bookshelves on the interior of the shop illuminated by that exquisite chandelier. Combine these both together – along with the rustic appeal that always seems synonymous with this bookshop – and I just think that the shot as a whole screams BOOK LOVE!

My thanks to Daniel for taking such a wonderful shot.

Over to you fellow reader. Does this shot scream ‘book love’ to you? Have you visited the Shakespeare and Co.? Did you find it as warm and inviting as this shot, or my previous one would suggest? Whatever your thoughts on this week’s Bookshelf of the Week, I’d love to hear them.

Comments

1. Stujallen (Twitter: stujallen)

such a icon of paris ,it has been in a couple of films before sunset for one ,i briefly visited it years ago butt have only had a flying visit to paris always saying to amanda we ll have to go some time ,all the best stu

Wow, I didn’t even know you’d visited Stu That’s two weeks in a row you’ve visited a bookshop I’ve featured. I’ll have to make mext week’s one really obscure 🙂

2. Thanks for featuring this, Rob. S & Co is a wonderful place and – despite the criticism it has come in for in recent times – it continues to provide a location for book lovers of every stripe to gather and share their enthusiasms. And the photo is excellent: you want to be in there – preferably alone – under the chandelier, a coffee in hand and a couple of hours stretching out before you… If there’s a bookshop in the world (apart from City Lights) of similar character and endurance, I’d like to hear about it…

Philip,
      Thank you for your most wonderful thoughts. You’re quite obviously a huge fan and the shop has touched your soul. I’m off now to Google City Lights. It’s a new one on me

3. Amy (Twitter: amckiereads)

This photo definitely screams *book love* and *visit me!* I stopped by that shop quickly when I was in the city and loved it. I had a great time perusing the stacks and really wished that I could stay longer.

Geez…am I the only one not to have visited Amy? 🙂 Glad you enjoyed whatever short time you spent in it.

4. This is definitely one of the warmer photos I’ve ever seen of Shakespeare and Company. Love it!

5. Taking the books out of the equation, it’s the colours in this photograph that make it so striking. I love it.

Actually, I thought that too Kim. No really I did. Everything just seems to gel so well together.

6. Love, love, love this place. I’ve been to Paris three times (each time in winter) and the warmth of this book store, after a long day of walking and museum hopping, draws me in everytime. I love sitting a reading from the collection with one of the resident cats sitting on my lap and I love that despite (or maybe due to) the dust I feel at home.

Being a relative newcomer to Robaroundbooks I did not see it featured last time so, very happy, thanks Rob!

My pleasure Cate, and thank you so much for spending some time sharing your impressions of the bookshop. You make it sound even more perfect than I thought it alread ywas.

7. Love the colours and warmth in that shot! 🙂

It just all comes together to make a perfect bookish scene doesn’t it Darren?

8. Hey, I’m the photographer here, just wanted to thank you for those beautiful words about this shot. I believe all the photographs should look great with such an amazing subject…this is definitely one of most special places of Paris.

You have a great blog here, i’ll be back with more time to see more of it.

Thanks again.
    Greetings from Barcelona.

Daniel

Daniel,
      SO GOOD to hear from you, and thank you for the kind comment.

Most of all though, thank you again for taking such a wonderful photograph. It’s true what you – all photographs can look great with a perfect subject (and it doesn’t get much more perfect than this bookshop) – but it also needs a great photographer with a good eye. Your eye is spot on.
      Thanks for taking the time to stop by Daniel. And may you have continued success with all that you photograph.