Introducing ‘Fifty-Two Friday’

Nobody was more delighted than me (probably) to find to out last week that Harper Perennial were taking their free short story portal, Fifty-Two Stories into a third year. With the focus in this new year being on the enigmatic single-word topic ‘ASK’, Cal Morgan has already served up the first slice of short story goodness for the year in the shape of Bar Beach Show, a story from Nigerian short story specialist, E. C. Osondu (winner of the 2009 ‘African Booker’). What a absolute treat!

Now, as much as I adore Harper Perennial’s Fifty-Two Stories portal I’m ashamed to admit that I pretty much ignored Cal’s delicious short story offerings last year (a complete contrast to 2009 when I read every single one), and that disappoints me massively. Why? Well, if it were not for this short story portal then I would never have discovered the eloquent and poetic world of Simon Van Booy, the imaginative world of Alex Burrett, or indeed the ‘punch in the guts’ world of Barb Johnson. In other words Fifty-Two Stories has been a veritable gold mine of short fiction discovery for me in the past, and I need to get myself back into the routine of excavating from it.

So to make amends for my lethargic attitude in 2010, and to make sure I don’t make the same mistake again this year, I’m designating Fridays from now on as ‘Fifty-Two Friday’; the day on which I take the time to read and review the short story served up by Cal Morgan on Fifty-Two Stories on each given week.

But that’s not all I’m going to be doing, folks. Because I missed out on all of those great story offerings last year, I’m also going to make a point of also reading and reviewing every corresponding story that was offered up at the same time during 2010.

So that means from this Friday onwards I’m going to be ‘pigging out’ on two Fifty-Two Stories offerings per week, and in doing so I hope that I can encourage some of you guys to follow my lead, and pick up one or two of these stories yourself. Fifty-Two Stories is one of the finest gifts that any publisher has ever given its readers, and we owe it to Cal Morgan et al. to show as much appreciation and support as we can. I hope you agree. See you Friday!

Rob, a self-confessed bibliophile, is without any hope of rehabilitation. He gets unnaturally excited over anything book-shaped, and if book sniffing were a crime then he would have been locked up years ago (which wouldn't bother him in the slightest provided his cell was lined with books)

Comments

1. Melissa (Twitter: bettyandboo)

Oooh, how fun … I didn’t know about Fifty Two Stories! Thanks, Rob!

You obviously weren’t following RobAroundBooks in 2009 then, Melissa. I spoke about Fifty-Two Stories until I was blue in the face. Regardless, I’m glad you’ve discovered the place now. It’s a treasure trove of short story goodness.

2. stujAllen (Twitter: stujallen)

Great selection coming up rob look forward to your reviews through the year I ve e c osondu collection from granta looking forward to it ,all the best stu

Geez…is there anyone who HASN’T got Granta’s Osondu collection, Stu? Yeah, ME!!! :o)
      Best of luck with the reading of it Stu. Hope you enjoy it

3. gina (Twitter: pebbleinmyshoe)

Love this! One of my lit resolutions is to read more international/translated short fiction. I’ll have to keep an eye on 52 stories!

You MUST keep an eye on Fifty-Two Stories, Gina. The offerings are eclectic and wide-ranging.

FANTASTIC resolution BTW. I wish you well with it!

4. I’ll be tuning in Fridays — I need to read more short stories so I look forward to your insight.

I have an award for you on my blog:

Wow thanks Suzanne, on both accounts! I’ll pop on over and see what this award is all about.

5. Amy (Twitter: amckiereads)

Great plan Rob, I have my own Friday plan for the year but will certainly be following along with you. I have Osondu’s collection on my Kindle at the moment so am off to read his short story! I really do want to follow those stories more this year. The few I’ve read were fantastic.

Thanks Amy. I don’t know how Cal Morgan does it, but his taste in short stories is exceptional. I hope you enjoy my support of it.

6. Kinna (Twitter: kinnareads)

Thanks for the link, Rob. I will join for at least some parts of this journey.