You know what’s been missing from RobAroundBooks for a while (aside from regular posts of course)? FUN, that’s what! I think it’s all gotten a little humdrum and dull around here and it’s time to get back to injecting a little humour around the place, along with a lot more colour (quite literally). To help me do that I’m introducing you to a bunch of new geezers, collectively known as the Jelly Bibliophiles.
Looking at them you’d be forgiven for thinking that the Jelly Bibliophiles were nothing more than static confectionary, but unlike their distant cousins the Jelly Babies, these guys are well-read literary addicts who live in a far off metropolis called Book City. Allow me to introduce you to them:
- First up there’s Edgar (purple/black). He’s mean and moody and he’s got a bit of a tell-tale heart.
- Next there’s JD (white). He’s a recluse and he’s a bit shy and retiring. It’s a good job then that his colour matches that of the written page.
- Next is Hunter (orange). He used to be a journalist for the Book City Herald, until his drug habit got way too out of hand and became more Oh No than Gonzo.
- Anton is the fella in red. He’s a fiery Russian who enjoys nothing more than hanging out with the more marginal characters of Book City.
- Second to last is Haruki (green). He hails from the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’, and he has a bit of a thing for cats and marathon running.
- Lastly there Knut (yellow), who originally comes from Norway. Before hooking up with the rest of the Jelly Bibliophiles, he wandered the back streets of Book City on the brink of insanity, as a starving writer, looking for any and every opportunity to put his pen to work to earn a crust of bread.
So that’s the Jelly Bibliophiles, and I’m delighted that they’ve allowed me to record their daily antics, and share them with you. I think we’re in for a hell of a time because they’re all a bit mental. They read a lot of course, but they also spend a lot of time exploring Book City, and generally causing a nuisance to each other and to those around them. If ASBOs existed in in this far off land then every one of the JBs would have a house full of them by now. God only knows what we’re letting ourselves in for.
Have you gone stark raving mad Rob? Yes, I think I have . Look out for the first instalment of Jelly Bibliophiles: Adventures in Book City, coming soon to a screen near you (and by ‘screen’ I don’t mean anything as extravagant as a TV screen).